Care to comment?

3 Oct

My past 3 posts drove unprecedented numbers of people to call, email, or speak with me in person about the feelings/issues/questions/ideas they gleaned from my musings. A few folks also dropped comments on one of my FB walls (personal or blog-specific). But no one opted to comment directly on the blog pages themselves.

Why is that?

G, my former assistant (and still-right-hand-woman for so many things), opined that “Maybe people are worried about being judged by you or other readers?” This evoked a trio of responses in my brain:

1. Really? Do any of my readers still really give 2 hoots about what other people think about them? Have I failed you all that badly? That’s depressing.

2. If that thoroughly demoralizing idea rings true —  Don’t people know that they can comment using pseudonyms like “Bacon-pants,” “BaconBrains,” “DonutBacon,” or even “Kevin Bacon”?

3. What has happened to the spirit of community, open communication, sharing, and mutual learning and respect that I KNOW every one of my readers wishes to embody in their everyday lives?

People. We need each other.

This isn’t a soapbox blog. It’s an idea forum meant to inspire adventure. And adventure is always best when shared. It’s even better when the people who share along in the adventure offer different perspectives and ideas that may trigger wider thinking and broader horizons for all who share the journey.

I “get” that many (most?) of you aren’t comfortable sharing QUITE as openly about your lives as I do with mine. That’s fine — if you were that kind of person, you’d have your OWN blog (and I would follow it and comment on it from time-to-time just to let you know that I’ve got your back)!

But I also know that at least 75% of those of you who are known entities typically are not at all shy about forming and sharing your opinions on a wide variety of subjects. And further, I know that I (at least) always appreciate hearing your opinions, even when I don’t agree with them because having a wider range of ideas and more inputs almost always generates higher levels of excellence.

Of course, there about 300 of you who are total wild cards — JustAdventurers whom I’ve never met. Total strangers to me, although the “stranger” concept only goes one way because y’all actually know quite a lot about me.

So, let’s try this:

If I know you and you’re worried that your comments on this blog might make me think differently about you (or you’re worried about how other readers might judge you), then please adopt a pseudonym that incorporates the word BACON. There are endless options of Bacon-based names and if everyone uses “Bacon” in their name, it’ll make it pretty damn hard to figure out who’s who.

If I DON’T know you, first: Welcome! Second: Thank you for inviting me into your world. Third: Please comment on this post to tell me how you found this blog and what you’d like to read more about. You can use the Bacon-based pseudonym cover, too.

So, my Bacon-y friends, what do you have to say about that?

11 Responses to “Care to comment?”

1. Cynthia @ Flotsam of the Mind October 3, 2013 at 11:15 am #

I suspect that the failure to comment here arises from one of two other reasons. First, your readers may not be “blog people” and don’t want to set up a WordPress account to comment. Since I too overshare and blog, this does not excuse me.

Second, your recent posts have been deeply personal. Perhaps friends feel more comfortable reaching out to give support in a more personal or one-on-one way. The fact that an email or FB comment qualifies as one of these is a topic for another day.

In any event, I have commented today, and I always read your posts. Even the really long ones. I will use my real name, saving me the time commitment required to find the perfect bacon-themed pseudonym.

• justadventures October 3, 2013 at 12:24 pm #

As usual, you raise excellent points and once again make me happy to have you in my world. Thanks!

2. Wende Nichols-Julien October 3, 2013 at 11:26 am #

What if I just don’t like bacon…? Is there still room for me here among your followers? 🙂

• justadventures October 3, 2013 at 12:22 pm #

Discovering that you don’t like bacon does stretch my ability to remain non-judgmental. But! Fear not! Your well-known love for justice, adventure, and beer totally qualifies you to remain on the team.

3. Carrie Kiley October 3, 2013 at 11:49 am #

I think people are worried about being the first to comment – it’s like when you’re a kid and realize that if you’re wrong people might laugh at you. Let’s embrace the safe space here! Thanks for writing Z, I look forward to your blog entries every week.

• justadventures October 3, 2013 at 3:06 pm #

Gah! Another excellent (painful) insight. Thank you, Carrie!
      And, people, listen to her: “Embrace the safe place here” — I bet it will hug you right back. Unless you don’t like hugs (SNancy), then it’ll just fist-bump you.

4. T October 3, 2013 at 12:40 pm #

1. Logging in sucks. There is only one blog I bother to post comments upon. It’s a financial blog full of pros, so I like to see what they think. Even now I had to take 5 minutes to login, because the other site saved my user and passwd ages ago and I forgot which pass I used. Now, this IS because I am lame at times, but let’s be frank, most of us are as well.

2a. Most people are voyeurs who are just in it for the entertainment (hey, that’s me!).
    2b. Of the friends and family who are NOT 2a, they would rather interact directly; it’s much more fun and effective.

3. I like the personal insights, but drift and tune out during the long bicycle related posts, so I hesitate to comment most times because: A) I know you enough to care about personal events and enjoy your insights, but B) I don’t know you well enough to comment on personal sh**, and finally C) I am not into cycling at all (I own a Dahon folding bike I use to get around locally).

4. I love lists. Lists within lists are a bonus.

• justadventures October 3, 2013 at 3:11 pm #

Ah. Yes. This, too, offers an exceptional level of helpful truthiness! Thank you. PLUS it gives me a good excuse to hang with you cuz I’m toying with adding the whole folding bike thing into my soon-to-be-more-challenging work/school/life commute plan. So, stand by for the “Can I borrow it?” request…

• Carissa Barker October 4, 2013 at 12:52 am #

What T said!

5. Andrey Dvortsov October 11, 2013 at 7:25 am #

Great blog and triggered me to be more active in commenting myself. Even though I do not manage to follow all your posts regularly it is always a great inspiration for me how to handle all life’s challenges and not being afraid to make a mistake and taking a totally new path from scratch regardless how ridiculously unreasonably strange or weird it may seem!

Something you wanna say?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s